Staying hydrated is important even while in the middle of a run. However, carrying a water bottle is not always convenient or easy, unless you have the right design and size. Hydrating well allows you to run with ease and helps your body heal faster. In this article, we will explore the top 5 options that are best for runners in terms of their fluid capacity, thermal insulation, compressibility, and other such features.
What to Look for in a Running Water Bottle?
Some key things to consider when comparing water bottles for running are:
- Design: It is important to consider options with an ergonomic and leak-proof design, an adjustable strap, and an easy-to-drink-from spout.
- Size and Weight: You do not want a bottle that is too big or bulky that it weighs you down and affects your running performance.
- Construction: Look for a bottle made out of lightweight materials that are tested to be non-toxic and BPA-free.
- Storage: Consider options with built-in pockets to help you in carrying your essentials while running.
- Dishwasher-friendly: A dishwasher-friendly bottle will make cleaning a lot easier.
Top 5 Water Bottles for Runners
These are the top 5 water bottles for runners, and here is why:
- Best Water Bottle for Trail Running: Lifestraw Peak Series Water Filter Bottle
- Best Collapsible Water Bottle for Running: Ultimate Direction Body Bottle Collapsible Hydration
- Best Water Bottle for Running in Summers: Camelbak Podium Quick-Grip Chill Handheld Water Bottle
- Best for Long Runs: FITLY Soft Water Bottle
- Best Water Bottle for Running with Lesser Water: Osprey Duro Handheld Running Flask at Amazon
#1. Lifestraw Peak Series Water Filter Bottle
For runners who are out on the trail for quite a long time, it is important to invest in a water bottle that will supply them with sufficient water and will last long. A durable water bottle with filters that can allow runners to fill up water from natural water sources and drink up is the answer! This is exactly what the Lifestraw Peak Series Water Bottle does. Its integrated filter straw prevents any germs, parasites, and chemicals from seeping into your water bottle and allows safe drinking.
- It is ultra-compact.
- It filters out most microbes with its microfilter performance and allows runners to enjoy a fresh and pure water supply.
- It is durable, lab-tested, and BPA-free.
- It is leak-proof and has a collapsible squeeze bottle system.
- It does not come with any grip-material and storage slots to hold essentials, but that is only secondary.
#2. Ultimate Direction Body Bottle Collapsible Hydration
While running, you sometimes need a water bottle that can collapse and take up very less space so that carrying it around is not a problem. You can keep the Ultimate Direction Body Bottle collapsed in your pocket, without filling, if carrying a bulky filled bottle is a problem. When collapsed, it gets tiny, and it is super easy and light to carry. You can even fit it in a vest or your fuel belt.
- It offers you a taste free and BPA free water drinking experience.
- You can maintain your water/fluids either cold or warm in these bottles.
- The On/Off flow prevents leaking
- Collapsible, so easy to store.
- No filters for filling up from a natural water source.
#3. Camelbak Podium Quick-Grip Chill Handheld Water Bottle
No one wants to risk getting dehydrated while running in the summers, and the Camelbak Podium Quick-Grip Chill water bottle with its thermal insulation ensures you won’t. Its insulation will even keep any ice cubes you put inside intact. Therefore, you could be running in some really high degrees, but the water inside this bottle will make sure that your sips are cold and refreshing, just perfect to ensure that your energy is restored.
- The insulation technology lasts much longer than it does in most other insulated bottles.
- It comes with a pouch that has extra storage for your essentials.
- Its patented Trutaste Technologies allow you to enjoy a fresh and taste-free hydration experience.
- It isn’t collapsible.
- Somewhat bulky.
#4. FITLY Soft Water Bottle
The Fitly Soft Water Bottle is great for long runs since it is compact, made of eco-friendly materials, and collapsible. This soft flask shrinks as you drink. This way it takes up minimal space so it is perfect whether you are out for a long run or any other outdoor adventure. It is great to have Fitly as your hydration choice because you don’t want to be worried about your basic requirements while trying to have some fun, right!?
- Collapsible. It shrinks as you drink, and takes even less space then.
- This flask features an intelligent bite valve and leak-resistant mouthpiece.
- It is lightweight.
- 100% BPA and PVC-free.
- Comes in 5 size variations.
- It does not come with water filters.
- It can retain some taste.
#5. Osprey Duro Handheld Running Flask at Amazon
Tugging a water bottle along while you are running or hiking can be cumbersome. However, you cannot compromise on your hydration either. The Osprey Duro Handheld bottle is great for runners who only want to carry a small flask with just enough water capacity to take some sips when needed. Since it is handheld, it is convenient to carry around and does not get in the way.
- A 250 ml soft flask.
- Comes with a flask-stabilizing pouch.
- Has a mesh pocket.
- Not suited to runners who prefer to hydrate more.
- Not suitable for outdoor activities that involve both hands.
FAQs About Water Bottles for Runners
Here are answers to some FAQs regarding runners carrying water bottles:
Carrying a water bottle prevents dehydration and allows your body to heal faster after the high-impact activity.
If the water bottle you are carrying is too big and bulky then it can weigh you down, however, running with a bottle that has an ergonomic and compact design is easy.
You can either stow it in a belt or lumbar pack around your waist or carry it in a backpack.